It was developed by internationally known trainer, teacher and author, Linda Tellington-Jones. Based on understanding and respect for our animal friends, this gentle method promotes well-being and improves understanding and the ability to learn, using an integrated approach that helps to reduce stress and build confidence.
What is TTOUCH?
The foundation of the Tellington TTouch Method is a specific form of light circular touches and strokes known as TTouch®. Done with mindfulness and awareness of breath, this form of touch induces a state of relaxation and increased body awareness in animals and people alike.
By combining the body work with unique movement exercises will improve focus and attention, allowing optimal learning to take place. By using a variety of other tools that also assist the dog to understand what is being asked, the animal experiences a sense of confidence in previously frightening or challenging situations. Even the most difficult problems are often eliminated with just a few sessions.
TTOUCH aids in the rehabilitation of animals who have undergone surgery, injuries and other traumas. Specific ttouches release tension, pain or fear/memory of pain, from areas affected, helping the dog/animal heal, relax and learn or re-learn.
This also provides people with a wonderful means of deepening the bond they share with their animal companions.
- Stress Reduction – recognizing the signs of stress in an animal and helping to alleviate both the physical, emotional and behavioral consequences of stress.
- Building Confidence — how to help an dog to cope with new environments, other animals and people in appropriate ways. This particularly applies to dogs that come out of shelter and rescue situations . . . many of whom have lost, or never known, appropriate social skills!
- Enhancing the relationship between the dog and their person — involves helping people to better understand body language and communication signals, the need for dogs to feel safe and the true meaning of respectful interaction and training.
- TTouch offers positive solutions to common behavioural and health-related issues, including inappropriate aggression, car sickness, separation anxiety, excessive barking, chewing, jumping up and leash-pulling in dogs, resistance to grooming, nervousness, shyness, thunder/noise phobia, etc.
- It compliments any other type of training and can enhance performance in agility, showing and other performance activities.
- Contributes to general well-being and offers support of veterinary care.
- And deepens the bond and understanding between people and animals.
Who Uses The Tellington TTouch Method?
- Many animal professionals use it. The list includes groomers, pet sitters, trainers, animal behaviourists, shelter and rescue workers, breeders, vets, vet technicians and competitors in agility, obedience, tracking.
- Practitioners work with individual clients and teach one or two day workshops.
- Of course, anyone who shares their life with animals can use the Tellington Method!
Anne qualified as a Ttouch Practitioner in 1998, following 3 years of Training for Companion Animals taking concurrently with 2 years Equine Training. Since qualifying, Anne has conducted many work-shops and classes; private consultations too numerous to count as well as assisting several of the Ttouch Instructors on many of the week-long Practitioner Trainings, both in Canada and the UK. More about Anne and her services here